Governance and company secretarial expertise
Our governance, company secretarial and board performance expertise is wide-ranging and draws on an extensive range of projects and knowledge.
It includes: an in depth knowledge of commercial, company and charity law; and corporate, public sector and not-for-profit governance; together with related codes such as the UK corporate code and "Managing Public Money". It covers topics such as behavioural governance and risk, together with international and subsidiary governance expertise.
Projects have included:
- company secretarial work to support establishment of a new government company, including constitutional documents;
- governance changes to achieve regulatory upgrades key to the reputational and financial sustainability of social housing associations;
- governance framework for a new regulator;
- support for the implementation of a new international group structure including the incorporation of subsidiaries and intergroup agreements;
- support for acquisitions and mergers, including in the context of management buyouts;
- the introduction of a board effectiveness and development programme, and governance manuals
- new board selection and appointments processes;
- risk management governance systems review;
- implementing the use of Blueprint for an international group.
Interim work includes:
- interim deputy company secretary for a large Lloyd's regulated insurance company operating in multiple jurisdictions, including as a Lloyd's managing agent;
- interim company secretary supporting the transition of the Highways Agency to Highways England, a government company, responsible for England's motorways and main A roads;
- interim group secretary and governance consultancy for a FTSE250 size housing association to support achievement of an improved governance rating as part of a two year organisational turnaround;
- interim group director governance for a FTSE350 housing association acquiring three companies and issuing bonds, the project included support for the turnaround of a new subsidiary;
- interim company secretarial and corporate governance consultancy for the British Council's international group structure - subsidiaries and registered branches in jurisdictions in India, Singapore, South America, Asia, EU and Wider Europe;
- governance consultancy and interim company secretary for proposed statutory corporation and regulator for Nuclear Safety and Security (Health and Safety Executive) regulating the energy industry and material transported for medical use;
- implementation of Charities Act across the Church of England (national working party and negotiations with Charity Commission 14,000 charities);
- "making an impact" report for an umbrella body for UK professions, and advice on government policy proposals on access to the professions;
- CIPD's online resource for NEDs.